Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Friends Forever

"Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one that falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart." 
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

I love how this verse describes friendship. It is vital. It is a connection between two people and God. It withstands adversity. When I read this verse I can't help but think about the wonderful women in my life that God has blessed me with that fall into this category. Unfortunately, I feel as if our culture has watered down what true friendship is and what it looks like.


Follow me for a second... We live in a culture where your "BFF" changes as often as your nail polish color. Where people are your frenemies. Really? You can be someones friend and enemy all at the same time? Where celebrities have reality shows titled, "Paris Hilton's My New BFF." Need I say more? 


Photo Credit
So what should friendship look like? We can look to the ultimate friend. John 15:12-13 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." So what does it look like to lay down our lives for our friends? {other than the obvious implication of dying for someone, which most of us will never be faced with} It means sacrificing our time and energy for our friends. It means praying for them (not just saying that you will pray for them). It means giving more than taking. It means being vulnerable and transparent with the messiness of each others lives and sharing in that together. It means being uncomfortable at times. 


These verses challenge me to be a better friend and my prayer is that they will challenge you as well. 




Live.Laugh.Love
Josie

2 comments: