Friday, February 24, 2012

Don't Get Burned

( I had thought of today's post three nights ago and hadn't talked to Josie about it and then she posts "Fire" yesterday. After reading it I thought I'd blog about something a little different but then I thought "Maybe God's talking to someone?" So, I decided to continue with this post...)


A couple nights ago, my back muscles were hurting really badly and my husband suggested I go take a hot shower. I got in the shower and turned the water to warm. I stood there for a minute, after my body temperature adjusted I turned the water to a little hotter. It was really hot but I stood there anyways. After a while, my body adjusted to that temperature too and so I made the water a little hotter. I did this until I couldn't turn the faucet anymore. While standing there, I got a thought: "Wow, this is a lot like sin." We start off small and after a while we get comfortable, so we have to go a little further in that sin to "feel something again". Then we get comfortable there and have to go even further. It's an endless cycle. For example: You steal a piece of gum from the store. It felt good and you didn't get caught so you do it a few more times. Then you wonder "can I steal that shirt?" So you do. You don't get caught. You do it a few more times. Then you wonder "can I steal that car?" So you do. You don't get caught...on and on and on. That may be a lame example but you get the picture.

We need to quench the flame of sin immediately; as soon as it ignites in our life. Don't get comfortable in your sin, it will only burn you in the long run.

True repentance brings about immediate forgiveness. God's grace and mercy is available to you. He loves you. If you've been struggling with a certain sin, give it over to the Lord. His arms are strong enough to carry your burdens and your struggles. He already nailed that sin to the cross, so give it over to Him. There was this band called "Solomon's Wish" and they sang this great song called "Fireside". I have kept that image in my head since I first heard it years and years ago. The Lord is just waiting for us to return to Him; waiting with outstretched arms. Do not be ashamed or feel like you don't deserve His love. He loved you while you were still a sinner.

2 comments:

  1. K so I relate to this a lot. I was doing some reading in Luke today and in Jesus' instructions on prayer it said to ask for help with temptation. I'm like... woah! Wait a second. I pray after I sin, not before I get a chance to sin. I need to rethink this thing here. Thanks for the post. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete