Monday, February 6, 2012

Love and Healing

Have you ever had a moment when you thought, "That really didn't happen, did it?" I recently had one, a BIG one. This story is extremely personal, but I believe by being vulnerable about it, it could provide healing for some of you.

Last week I was flying home to attend a funeral of someone I loved dearly I was sitting in my seat with my daughter on my lap and my jaw almost hit the ground when I saw who boarded. No ladies, it wasn't the glam Tyra Banks. It wasn't the amazing designer Betsey Johnson. It was the wife of my ex-fiancé and their children. The girl that he got pregnant when we were suppose to get married. This is something I am completely healed of but this is the first time I saw her since all of this happened eight years ago. A flood of emotions came back all at once.

The thing that stuck out to me the most was the contrast of how broke my heart was eight years ago when this happened compared to where I am at now in my life. I couldn't help but praise God for how he transformed me and healed me.

For a very long time I was angry, depressed, and hated all men. I didn't trust anyone and was convinced I would never love again or get married. To say the least, my heart was hard. I acted out of that hurt and hurt others. I would go on dates just to be able to reject the person at the end.

When I decided to lift my eyes up to Jesus instead of focusing on all the way that I had been wronged, he started the process of healing my heart. It was a long, slow road. It involved many setbacks and tears before I came to peace with it.

Today I am married to the most wonderful Godly man. He loves me well and always offers me grace. I trust him completely and I know he will always protect my heart.

First, I want to speak to the broken hearted ladies. Don't give up on love. Always hope. Allow God to heal your heart. Don't blame yourself. Lift you eyes to the greatest Comforter and allow him to soften your heart. It will be painful at times, but will produce wonderful results.

The next thing is for the married ladies. If you have a wonderful husband, be thankful for him. Let him know how amazing he is. Pray for him, your marriage, and your family. Support him in his ministry and be his biggest cheerleader. Be quick to forgive and to apologize.


1 comment:

  1. So refreshing and good to read your vulnerability here. Thanks for great words of advice! :)

    ReplyDelete