Thursday, February 9, 2012

Viva Las Vegas

This past weekend I was blessed to have a Girls Weekend with one of my closest friends in Las Vegas. I know, I know Las Vegas?! We both aren't Las Vegas type girls, but a family friend of hers paid for the trip and it was incredible {despite being entirely opposite of our expectations, but that is a different story}. 

The whole experience really made me think.  Las Vegas is extremely overwhelming in every sense of the word. Every type of sin is staring you in the face: lust, gluttony, pride, love of money and material possessions, drunkenness, lies, adultery, etc. I got up early one morning and was sitting in our room that overlooked a good portion of the city. As I was praying for the city, the people that lived in it, and the people that visited, it hit me. Las Vegas is not different than any other place. Sure, the sin may be more noticeable and glamorized, but sin is everywhere. These people are just like you and me. They are broken. They are searching for the next thing to satisfy them and all of those things just happen to be contained in one place. 

I think that CS Lewis' Quote sums it up perfectly


We were not made for this world, but another. Nothing in this world is going to satisfy us. So often we search for things to fill the void in us, that can only be filled through Jesus until we make it to our true home, Heaven. Paul talks about this in Philippians 3:20, "For our citizenship is in Heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;"

So ladies, let's not give up and settle for temporary satisfaction but continue to hope and pray for the true satisfaction that we will experience one day. 

What are some things that you may be using to temporarily satisfy you? Are those things getting in the way of your relationship with God?





No comments:

Post a Comment